Apologies for probably the longest delay we’ve ever had in archiving an episode of SNSS, but I was a bit busy last week on my first ever trip to New York City. Yes, that’s right, first ever. You’d think I would have stumbled my way to NYC just by happenstance at some point over the years, but this was it. My day job kept me super busy and then any time leftover was consumed by catching up with some of my east coast label homies (UMG & WMG, what up!), plus I was just generally overwhelmed by the Big Apple.
I stayed around Times Square, which was equal parts fun and completely absurd, but it came in handy on Friday night when Kanye decided to unveil his “New Slaves” video a few blocks from my hotel on 5th Ave. I literally ran over to the Prada store at 2am and caught the last live showing of the video in NYC, plus had a surprise pseudo-encounter with Kanye himself. The full story and video can be viewed right here. Pretty crazy, but apparently that’s the kind of thing that just happens in NYC. I shall return.
Anyway, here’s our show from 5/12/13, which officially marked our 8 YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF SNSS (our first show was 5/8/05)! You may recall we celebrated our 400th show not too long ago, but I can’t decide which milestone more impressive: shows vs. years. 400 is a big number and pretty impressive when you think about it, but for me, I think 8 years resonates louder. That’s longer than middle and high school. That’s college and (at least some) grad school. That stretches back to before the world really knew about Barack Obama. So much has happened over the last 8 years it’s crazy when you sit down and think about it. And one constant has been that J. Moore and I have been on the air every Sunday night, bringing you SNSS without fail.
Every time we reach one of these milestones, it’s fun for us to reflect, but I just have one overriding feeling: thank YOU for rocking with us. Thanks to our coworkers at KUBE, our label friends, managers, DJ’s, bloggers, artists, journalists, booking agents, promoters, etc….you guys helped us all immensely. And most important, thanks to every listener. Whether you’ve been riding since day one or just found out about the show lately, you’re the reason we’re here.
Here’s to 8 more years!
Show #413 (5-12-13)
- Common ft. Kanye West & John Mayer – “Go” (Throwback of the Week)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Ashthon Jones – “Good 2getha”
- Drop City Yacht Club ft. THURZ – “Pipeline”
- Slaine ft. Kali & REKS – “The F*ckery Hotel”
- Tyler, The Creator ft. Erykah Badu & Coco Owino – “Treehome95”
- sayknowledge ft. Cashius Green – “Art Goons”
- Dariu$ – “Daydreemin’” (Local Music)
- Substantial ft. Jsoul – “BBQ (Family Reunion Remix)”
- 8thW1 – “Happy (Dirty Art Club Remix)”
- Talib Kweli ft. Rubix & Bajah – “High Life”
- K-Def ft. Blu & Quartermaine – “Fundamentals”
- Nate Tha Great ft. Fego – “Them Days”
- GrandeMarshall – “Gotmef*ckedup”
- Porter Ray – “5 Mics” (Local Music)
- Bryant Dope ft. ANTHM – “NNY”
- Shad – “Peace”
- Logic ft. Jhene Aiko – “Break It Down”
- Denzil Porter – “Bishop”
- Marco Polo ft. Lil Fame – “Fame For President”
- Trek Life ft. Hardwerk & Bishop Lamont – “Rap Time”
- Mike Champoux ft. Grynch – “The Rain” (Local Music)
- The Micranots – “Mother’s Day” (Throwback of the Week)
- J. Cole – “3 Wishes”
- Kelis – “Jerk Ribs”
- Major Lazer ft. Amber Coffman (of Dirty Projectors) – “Get Free”
If there are any problems with the links or if you’d like to be added to our weekly email list to receive the playlist and download links after every show, just shoot me an email, DJHyphen@gmail.com.