As mentioned in the last few updates, we’re in the midst of our 10 year SNSS anniversary, officially occurring on May 8th. That’s right, our 1st show was May 8th, 2005, so we’re now a few weeks into year 10. We’ve hit some big milestones in the past (most recently, show #500), but 10 years feels like the biggest. 10 years is a long time to do anything, let alone host an independent music show in today’s commercial radio market. That’s longer than high school + college. That’s longer than most people have been with their significant other (I know friends who have been married…and divorced…and remarried…during the time we’ve been on air hahah). That’s longer than Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and the iPhone have existed. MySpace came and went. When we started, only fans of Chicago politics had ever heard the name Barack Obama. The world’s population has almost grown by 1 billion people in the last decade. In other words, 1/8th of the world doesn’t know what life without Sound Session is like hahaha.
We did our first show when I was just 23, which, aside from making me feel old AF, means that SNSS has been a part of my entire post-college life. It’s given me friends, memories, and opportunities that I’ll cherish forever. It’s impossible for me to sum up what it has meant to me and it has been an honor to share that with my brother…a man I used to watch host/perform/organize damn near every hip-hop event in the city when I was in high school…a true Seattle legend, J. Moore. Salute, OG.
As always, we’re thankful (Marshawn voice) for KUBE giving us the opportunity, especially Eric Powers and Karen Wild, who have always been in our corner. Their support has given us the freedom to develop the show and SNSS brand into what it is today. We’re also very appreciative of all the artists, managers, DJ’s, bloggers, promoters, etc. that have been a part of the show and helped us in one way or another. Most importantly, thanks to you, the listeners. We’re here to share good music with y’all and that experience alone has made all our hard work worth it. Thanks for enjoying this run with us. Here’s to 10 more years, if not more!
To celebrate, we’ve been combing through our archives and looking at all the great records we’ve played. In a perfect world, we would just run it all back. Cuts…for…days. For each show during the rest of May, we’re playing 2 of our favorite tracks from every year in the past decade, plus some classic local records. Here’s the first special episode, featuring classics from Damian Marley, Little Brother, J Dilla, Mos Def, John Legend, Kanye, Kendrick, Nas, Frank Ocean, Drake, Macklemore, and so many more. Remember when (and where) you heard ’em first…
Show #518 (5-17-15)
**10 Year Anniversary Special, Week #1**
1. Damian Marley – “Welcome To Jamrock” (2005)
2. Little Brother ft. Darien Brockington – “Slow It Down” (2005)
3. De La Soul ft. MF Doom – “Rock Co.Kane Flow” (2006)
4. J Dilla ft. Common & D’Angelo – “So Far To Go” (2006)
5. Mr. Vegas – “Lean With It” (2007)
6. UGK ft. Outkast – “International Players Anthem” (2007)
7. Busta Rhymes – “Don’t Touch Me (Throw Da Water On ‘Em)” (2008)
8. John Legend ft. Andre3000 – “Green Light” (2008)
9. Mos Def ft. Slick Rick – “Auditorium” (2009)
10. Clipse ft. Cam’ron & Pharrell – “Popular Demand (Popeyes)” (2009)
11. Dam-Funk ft. MC Eiht & Steve Arrington – “Hood Pass Intact (Remix)” (2010)
12. Kanye West – “Dark Fantasy” (2010)
13. Kendrick Lamar – “Cut You Off” (2011)
14. Dom Kennedy – “Goodbye” (2011)
15. Nas – “The Don” (2012)
16. Frank Ocean – “Pyramids” (2012)
17. Drake – “Come Thru” (2013)
18. The Internet – “Dontcha” (2013)
19. Doja Cat – “So High” (2014)
20. Schoolboy Q ft. BJ The Chicago Kid – “Studio” (2014)
21. Jarv Dee – “I Just Wanna” (Local Music) (2012)
22. Macklemore – “The Town” (Local Music) (2009)
23. Romaro Franceswa ft. Fearce Vill – “Bounce” (Local Music) (2013)
Stream/Download via Soundcloud:
(back up – https://www.sendspace.com/file/6irdlf)
If there are any problems with the links or if you’d like to be added to our weekly email list to receive the playlist and download links after every show, just shoot me an email, DJHyphen@gmail.com.