New visuals from Jhene…which is really all you need to say. Hit play to see the video for “Spotless Mind,” a track inspired by possibly the greatest break up movie of all time and a pretty good take on what makes relationships so difficult, especially for 20-something’s. Word to Joel and Clementine.
Souled Out drops Tuesday and I’m really interested to see how it performs. I’d love to see an artist like Jhene breakthrough on the mainstream level and with the success of “The Worst,” a lot of folks are checking for her right now. This album will likely determine if she can get up to that star level, but either way, the music continues to be dope…and that’s the most important thing.
Mental note: don’t cheat on Jhene, although…really?
Jhene Aiko’s older sister, Mila J, returns to the music scene with the video for her lead single from M.I.L.A. (stands for Made In Los Angeles), “Smoke, Drink, Break-Up.” Fans of that mid to late 90’s R&B sound should dig this one.
Jhene and Gambino’s “Bed Peace” video is essentially an homage to John Lennon and Yoko Ono’s classic photograph and their general “peace & love” mentality. Jhene’s vocals are nice and catchy, plus the overall message is one I definitely support and will try to remember with the ongoing battle between work and life. Good to hear a more serious Gambino verse too, which may or may not hold some factual connection to his recent friendship with Jhene, if you’re into that tabloid stuff.
Now if I can just convince the label to make a clean edit for the airwaves…
While by definition, I always enjoy the music we play on SNSS, this week’s episode featured a ton of really great records, including two that are currently fighting out an epic “favorite song of the moment” battle in my head: The Internet’s “Dontcha” (Pharrell is somewhere seething that he didn’t make this) vs. Drake ft. Jhene Aiko’s “From Time” (I challenge you to find a better hook this year). Truthfully, we could have played those 2 songs on loop for the whole show and it would have been great, but we went ahead and hit you with other new gems from Pusha T, Danny Brown, Flatbush Zombies, Freddie Gibbs, Tanya Morgan, Sampha, BANKS, The Weeknd, Devin The Dude, Majid Jordan, Janelle, Monae, Chance The Rapper, Psychic Mirrors, and more.
Check this one out y’all, hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Show #432 (9-22-13)
- Chase & Status ft. Pusha T – “Machine Gun”
- Pusha T ft. Kendrick Lamar – “Nosetalgia”
- Danny Brown – “Side A”
- Flatbush Zombies ft. Action Bronson – “Club Soda”
- A-Rawlo – “Bro Dat” (Local Music)
- Freddie Gibbs & Madlib – “Deeper”
- Action Bronson & Harry Fraud ft. Wiz Khalifa – “The Rockers”
- Bishop Nehru – “Mobb Dizzle”
- Astro – “Afro”
- Tanya Morgan ft. Tiara Wiles, Mike Maven, Spree Wilson, & Rocki Evans – “The Only One”
- Scribes ft. Leezy Soprano – “The Ceiling” (Local Music)
- Sol – “The Key” (Local Music)
- Drake ft. Jhene Aiko – “From Time”
- Sampha – “Can’t Get Close”
- BANKS – “This Is What It Feels Like”
- The Weeknd – “Wanderlust”
- Devin The Dude – “Probably Should Have”
- Young Roddy – “Certified”
- 2Pac – “Pour Out A Little Liquor” (Throwback of the Week)
- Lil Wayne ft. Chance The Rapper – “You Song”
- The Internet – “Dontcha”
- The Foreign Exchange – “Call It Home”
- Janelle Monae – “I Want You Back”
- Psychic Mirrors – “Charlene”
- Majid Jordan – “Give Me A Reason (For Lovin’ You)”
If there are any problems with the links or if you’d like to be added to our weekly email list to receive the playlist and download links after every show, just shoot me an email, DJHyphen@gmail.com.
Jhene remixes her “3:16 AM” record with this ode to the Burning Man Festival in Nevada, a decidedly more positive twist on the original. Good to see her back on her hippie ish.
The visuals are a bit dark for my tastes (there’s a reason I never saw Black Swan, despite Natalie and Mila), but this song is dope. Produced by Key Wane, directed by Topshelf Junior.
Chances are, if I post a preview of your video, I’m going to end up posting the full version when it drops. You already know what it is with Jhene.