Shout to the whole S.A.S. and of course the homey Phonte. In Search of Stoney Jackson is one of the doper records in the past year, but that’s to be expected when Strong Arm links up with Madlib for a full project. Cop that.
We can only hope!
If you haven’t heard the news yet, Phonte and Nicolay, collectively known as The Foreign Exchange, have been nominated for a Grammy Award for their song, “Daykeeper.” Normally, I hate award shows and rarely care about the Grammys at all, mainly because they not only pick awful songs (big songs do not equal best songs) but they also nominate artists out of category too much.
Thankfully, and perhaps just by enough trial and error, they finally seem to have gotten something right. With any luck, Tay and Nic will walk away with a Grammy in hand, completely independent and thanks to their passion for making great music they believe in. Artists take note.
Here’s a dope new EP from Zo!, covering some classic songs by the likes of Stevie Wonder, Prince, Bobby Caldwell, Quincy Jones, the Isley Brothers, and more. Zo! (I always like including the exclamation point in his name) is insanely talented by himself, and when you bring in Phonte, Darien Brockington, Carlitta Durand, Sy Smith, and Yahzarah, you already know how it’s going to turn out. Enjoy some more grown folks music, perfect for this rainy Saturday night…
Okaaaaaay, you can blame it all on me tonight.
Just when you start to wonder when Phonte and Brainchild are dropping another GGR…”BAM!”…they’re back. Enjoy:
- B. Bravo “Midnite”
- Method Man & Redman “Dangerous Mcees” (cookin soul remix)
- Che Grand “People Bowling” (feat. Tanya Morgan)
- Mos Def “Auditorium” (feat. Slick Rick)
- DJ Mitsu “Get ‘Em Up” (feat. Elzhi)
- Amerie “Why R U”
- Kan Kick “I’m Going To Take U Out To Dinner”
- GB “Dealer Dog”
- Morgan Zarate “Satin White”
- Kenlo “Pont”
- Jay Dee “Come Get It”
- Freddie Joachim “Silent”
- Raheem DeVaughn “Wanna Love You” (feat Young Chris)
- Slum Village “Cloud 9″ (feat. Marsha Ambrosius)
- DJ Spinna “Guaranteed” (feat. Phonte & Yahzarah)
- Reggie B “Spirtual Fi”
- Zo! & Asylum 7 “The Lineup” (feat. Metasyons, Finale & Buff)
- Karriem Riggins “I Want You”
- Byron The Aquarius “Repetitive” (feat. Daru & Da Button Pusha)
- Lunice “This Time”
- Onra “My Comet”
- Floyd The Locsmif “Fuzzy Navel”
- Afta-1 “Flor Y Uva
- Nicolay “Lose Your Way” (feat. Carlitta Durand)
Wow. An excellent video from Phonte, Nicolay, Muhsinah, and Matt Koza for an excellent song off FE’s Leave It All Behind opus. I hope you younger cats are feeling Foreign Exchange, cause their music is so necessary for when you’re feeling grown like I do these days.
Seattle people: Phonte, Nicolay, Yahzarah, Carlitta Durand, Darien Brockington, and Zo! will be performing at Nectar on September 15th and it’s sure to be an incredible show. Even the opener, The Physics, will be great, so everyone 21+ needs to be there. We’ll be giving away tickets each week on Sound Session leading up to the show and we’ll also be holding a contest here on TAOD to sit in on our interview with them. Stay tuned and make sure to be there! More info right here.
As I mentioned in the post for the viral clip of “We Made It,” Kee & Zee’s newest video for “Alright With Me” has already been picked up by MTVu. Dopeness. Phonte had like 8 bars in this track and killed it. Shout to all my Cali familia in the video too…
Spotted at the Smoking Section.
Just when I’m all caught up in the Drake buzz and can’t stop listening to So Far Gone, the “Take Off The Blues” video drops and I’m reminded there’s another dope MC with some excellent singing chops. Phonte, Nicolay, and D-Brock linked up with Matt Koza for this clip, which shows the ups and downs of a relationship by starting with those harmless glances across the room and ending with visuals for “Valediction.” Two of my favorite tracks off Leave It All Behind? You can’t go wrong.
Fresh off last week’s 200th edition of SNSS, we’re hitting you over the head with another dope show, this time, packed full of exclusive joints that I believe we world premiered Sunday on KUBE. In today’s internet age, the traditional idea of ‘exclusives’ has pretty much gone out the window, and regardless, I’ve never even been that big a fan of the whole notion anyway. Simply because a DJ plays something first, doesn’t make it worthwhile (“NEW SOULJA BOY!!!!”).
Instead, this past week, we ran some great songs that the general public just hasn’t heard yet, but everyone will probably have soon. Some of them will be included on our upcoming Cornerstone Mixtape (with some other exclusives), but who knows if they’ll leak before that drops in May. Speaking of which, DJ B-Mello, J. Moore, and I finished up the mixtape last night (shout to Taybot and L for the engineering assistance!) and it sounds fresh. Looking forward to y’all hearing it, but for now, peep the show and some world premieres from Fashawn (prod. Exile), Roddy Rod ft. Phonte & Carlitta Durand, Asher Roth, and Tanya Morgan ft. Blu. [Kanye] Good music definitely in the building! [/Yeezy]
Show #201 (4-5-09)
- Donnis – “Party Works”
- CunninLynguists ft. Khujo Goodie & Killer Mike – “Georgia (Remix)”
- Drake – “November 18th”
- Kid Cudi – “Rollin’ Freestyle”
- Kid Cudi ft. Kanye West, Common, & A-Trak – “I Poke Her Face”
- Melanie Fiona ft. Talib Kweli – “Give It To Me Right (Remix)”
- J. Pinder ft. Shawn Starr – “Havin’ Problems” (Local Artist)
- Crooked I & DJ Wicked – “Jackin’ For Beats 2009”
- Bishop Lamont – “Friends”
- Method Man & Redman – “Mrs. International”
- Fashawn – “The Outer City” (WORLD PREMIERE)
- Outasight ft. The Kid Daytona & Donny Goines – “Fame & Fortune (Remix)”
- Shad – “Exile”
- Illa J ft. Grynch – “Showtime (Remix)” (Local Artist)
- Roddy Rod ft. Phonte (of Little Brother) & Carlitta Durand – “This Time Around” (WORLD PREMIERE)
- U-N-I & Ro Blvd – “Lauren London”
- Pac Div – “Shut Up”
- Common Market – “Escaping Arkham” (Local Artist)
- Scratch ft. Musiq – “Tonite”
- Asher Roth – “La Di Da” (WORLD PREMIERE)
- Keelay & Zaire ft. Supastition & Slo Mo (of Fortilive) – “Trapped”
- Tanya Morgan ft. Blu – “Morgan Blu” (WORLD PREMIERE)
- Mayer Hawthorne – “Just Ain’t Gonna Work Out”
If there are any problems with the links or if you’d like to be added to our weekly email list to receive the playlist and download links after every show, just shoot me an email, DJHyphen@gmail.com.
“Khrysis on the boards with the heat!”
New ish from Pooh off his Delightful Bars album. Sidenote: the girls in this video are…well…delightful.
Peace to OnSmash with the premiere.